Last updated: August 2018
This website is owned by John Lyon’s Charity. A reference to ‘John Lyon’s Charity’, the ‘Charity’, ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘our’ mean or refer to John Lyon’s Charity as the context requires.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 2018 (the Act), John Lyon’s Charity is registered as a ‘Data Controller’ on the public Register of Data Controllers as maintained by the Information Commissioner. Please read the following policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your information and personal data and how we will treat it.
By visiting www.jlc.london you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
This policy (together with our Legal Notices and any other policies referred to in it) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us.
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us: You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our website or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide if you register to use our website, subscribe to receive advice, additional information or services from us, and when you report a problem with our site.
The information you give us may include your name, job title, organisation, address, e-mail address and phone number, the area(s) of our work you are interested in receiving information about, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph.
Once you are on our contact database we may also record your details for any:
- John Lyon’s Charity mailing lists you have subscribed to or unsubscribed from;
- mailings (including legal alerts and event invitations) we have sent you;
- hyperlinks you have followed in our marketing email messages; and
- event invitations you have replied to and events you have attended.
If you communicate with us via our contact us form depending on the nature of your enquiry/request we may add you to our contact database.
Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information each time you visit our website:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); content you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call us.
INFORMATION THE CHARITY RECIEVES FROM OTHER SOURCES.
The Charity may receive information about you if you use websites connected with the Charity. In this case the Charity will have informed you when your data was collected that it may be shared internally and combined with data collected on this website. The Charity is also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
We collect information by using cookies (although the information we gather through our cookies remains anonymous so we cannot tell who you are). See below for more information on what a cookie is and why we use them on our website.
USE OF INFORMATION
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to provide our services and other information to you;
- to assess your application for a grant from the Charity;
- to contact you to inform you of our services or events;
- to send you regular updates on issues we think will be of interest to you;
- to notify you about changes to our services;
- to use your personal data in connection with and arising from your job application as more detailed later in this policy;
- to send you requested information on our people and services;
- to use your personal data in connection with your access to information and materials on our website;
- to use your personal data for marketing purposes and market research;
- to administer this website and help us improve our services;
- to use your personal data in relation to or arising from our events and, publications;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of the site about services that may interest you or them;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to issues invoices, manage accounts and records, and collection of payments and debts.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
The Charity may share your personal information with any member of the John Lyon’s Foundation which means [cross refer to the Foundation strategy diagram].
We may share your information with selected third parties including;
- business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site;
- credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In order to provide you with the information or services which you have requested.
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such assets.
- If John Lyon’s Charity or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its clients will be one of the transferred assets.
- When we host joint events with other corporate organisations. To avoid duplication it is sometimes necessary to compare our respective invitation lists.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes, and the right to ask us to remove your personal data from our database. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by writing to John Lyon’s Charity at Griffin Lodge, 45a Cadogan Gardens, London, SW32TB or [email protected].
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from other websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION AND CORRECTIONS
You may request details of the personal information that we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. If you would like a copy of the information held about you please write to John Lyon’s Charity at Griffin Lodge, 45a Cadogan Gardens, London SW3 2TB or email us at [email protected] or telephone us on 0207 259 1700, including enough information to permit us to identify your personal data.
If you think any information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible. We will correct or update any information as soon as possible subject to any restrictions under any applicable law or other obligations imposed on us.